EZCNN 易英网

当前位置:Home 英语教材 入门英语课程 A+ Business English 职场英语 The Work Life 工作甘苦谈

The Work Life 工作甘苦谈

 

课文朗读

 

课文讲解

 

Tiffany: How is work going these days at the supermarket?  最近在超市的工作还好吗?

 

Melissa: Not bad, but my boss put me on the late shift.  还不错,不过我的老板安排我值晚班。

 

Tiffany: How late do you have to work now?  那妳现在要工作到多晚?

 

Melissa: Until midnight, and I don't get home until almost 1 a.m.!  到午夜12点,而且我快凌晨1点才能到家!

 

Tiffany: Wow, you must be tired when you finally get back home.  哇!那妳到家的时候肯定是筋疲力尽了。

 

Melissa: I'm, but at least I have a job. How's your job going?  是啊,不过至少我有份工作。那妳的工作还顺利吗?

 

Tiffany: I'm still working from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at my office, but I'm working more overtime now.  我依旧是个朝九晚五的上班族,不过我现在更常加班。

 

Melissa: I really wish I could work those kinds of hours. How many overtime hours are you doing now?  真希望我也能在这个时段工作。妳现在要加几小时的班呢?

 

Tiffany: Last week I did four hours of overtime.  上星期我加了四个小时的班。

 

Melissa: But you don't have to stay too late, right?  不过妳不必待到很晚,对吧?

 

Tiffany: Well, I usually work all those hours on one night. Last Thursday I got off at 9 p.m., for example.  这个嘛…我通常会在一个晚上一口气把班加完,像上星期四我就加班到9点才下班。

 

Melissa: Hopefully that didn't get in the way of any plans.  希望那没有打乱任何计划。

 

Tiffany: Actually, I found out about doing overtime at the last minute and had to cancel the appointments I made before. That was really annoying.  事实上,我到最后一刻才知道要加班这回事,所以就得取消我先前安排好的约会。这真的很讨厌!

 

Melissa: Your boss should have told you earlier that you would have to work overtime.  妳的老板应该早点通知妳要加班才对。

 

Tiffany: Yeah, at least that way I could change my plans sooner.  就是说啊,至少那样我就能早点改变我的计划了。

 

Melissa: Maybe one day you won't have to work so many overtime hours.  说不定有一天妳就不必加那么多班了。

 

Tiffany: I hope so, but it still feels like it's a long way from happening.   希望如此。不过感觉起来,短期间内这似乎还不太可能发生。

 

by Bryan Shettig

 

Word Power

almost [ˋɔl͵most] adv.几乎﹐将近

Evelyn almost missed the bus, but luckily she made it on time.

伊夫林几乎要错过这班公交车,不过她幸运地准时赶上了。

 

tired [taɪrd]adj.疲倦的

The boys swam all day, so they felt very tired.

这些男孩们游了整天的泳,所以他们感到十分疲倦。

 

office [ˋɔfɪs] n.办公室

My boss buys snacks for everyone in the office every Friday.

我的老板每星期五都会买点心给办公室里的每个人。

 

get off 离开, 下班

Dad gets off work at 6 p.m. and comes home for dinner.

爸爸会在晚上6点下班回家吃晚餐。

 

appointment [əˋpɔɪntmənt]n.(尤指正式的)约会

I took my grandfather to his doctor's appointment yesterday.

我昨天带爷爷赴医生的约诊。

 

happen [ˋhæpən] v.发生

There was a big storm last night, but nothing terrible happened.

昨晚有场猛烈的暴风雨,不过没发生严重事故。

 

More Information

late shift [ʃɪft] 晚班

overtime [͵ovɚˋtaɪm] n.加班

annoying [əˋnɔɪɪŋ] adj.烦人的; 恼人的

get in the way of  干扰; 阻饶