Passing on the Salt 多「盐」无益

  • 打印

 

课文朗读

 

课文讲解

 

繁體中文譯本

 

Two colleagues, Bill and Mary, are having lunch in their office cafeteria.  比尔和玛莉是同事,他们正在公司的自助餐厅吃午餐。

 

M: I can’t believe my eyes, Bill. Are you having a salad for lunch? No burger?

哇,比尔,真不敢相信我的眼睛。你午餐就只吃色拉?没汉堡?

 

B: Get used to it, Mary. I’m off burgers for good. Most fast food is loaded with sodium.

玛莉,妳得开始习惯啰。为了自己好,我已经决定远离汉堡了。绝大部份的快餐,钠的含量都很高。

 

M: I know. But why your sudden interest in lessening your salt intake?

这我知道。但你为什么突然想减少盐分的摄取?

 

B: My doctor says I should cut back on sodium-rich foods to lower my blood pressure.

医生说我必须少吃点高钠盐的食物好降低血压。

 

M: Do you have hypertension? I would have thought you were too young.

你有高血压啊?你还这么年轻耶。

 

B: Actually, my blood pressure isn’t that high yet, but they say it increase with age.

事实上我的血压还没那么高啦,但据说血压会与年龄成正比呢。

 

M: Well, I’m glad you’re starting to pay more attention to your diet.

哇呜,真高兴看到你开始比较注意饮食了。

 

B: I want to lower my risk of heart attack and stroke, too.

我也想降低得心脏病和中风的危险。

 

M: So do I. That’s why I’ve been trying to lower my cholesterol level.

我也是,这也是为什么我一直想降低胆固醇指数。

 

B: I’ve noticed you’re been munching away on lots of fruits and vegetables recently.

我有注意到,最近妳开始大吃蔬果起来。

 

M: That’s right. I could stand to lose a few pounds, too.

没错。这样我还可以减个几磅。

 

B: In that case, you should come to my health club with me.

既然如此,妳该跟我一起上健身俱乐部的。

 

M: You’ve joined a health club? I would never have dreamed that you’d take something like this so seriously.

你有参加健身俱乐部啊?我做梦也没想到,你会这样认真看待一件事。

 

B: So, how about it? Can you tear yourself away from the TV tonight?

怎样啊?妳舍得不看今晚的电视吗?

 

M: Why not? If you can break your unhealthy eating habits, I can surely break a sweat.

怎么会舍不得?你都可以改正不良饮食习惯了,我流点汗又何妨?

 

End

 

Vocabulary

单词发音

 

pass on something  婉拒..;谢绝… say no to something; to refuse an opportunity involving something or someone; decline

cafeteria [͵kæfəˋtɪrɪə] n. 自助餐馆

off [ɔf] prep. 戒掉……

sodium [ˋsodɪəm] n. 钠

hypertension [͵haɪpɚˋtɛnʃən] n. 高血压

munch [mʌntʃ] v. 津津有味地嚼

stand to 做好准备

tear oneself away from 勉强使自己离开  to remove (oneself, for example) unwillingly or reluctantly.

break a sweat  出汗 become wet with sweat

 

 

Sentence of the Day

That worker’s not worth his salt.

那工人不够格。