No More Rejection Letters 自作自售

  • 打印

 

课文朗读

 

课文讲解

 

繁體中文譯本

 

Margot hasn’t seen her roommate, Bruno, for weeks. He finally emerges from his room, looking triumphant.  玛佳有好几个星期没看到室友布鲁诺了。此刻他终于走出房间,看起来志得意满。

 

M: There you are! I was thinking about calling the authorities, but judging from the look on your face, something good’s been going on in there.

你可出现啦。我还在想要不要打电话报警呢,但是从你脸上的表情看来,想必有什么好事发生吧?

 

B: Congratulate me, Margot – I’ve just completed my first novel.

玛佳,恭喜我吧,我刚完成生平第一本小说。

 

M: Uh-oh. Publishers beware!

喔哦,出版社小心啰!

 

B: Forget about publishers for now. I’m releasing the book myself – over the Internet.

目前还跟出版社无关啦。我正自行发表作品,把它公布在网络上。

 

M: You’re joking. How are you going to manage that?

你开什么玩笑?你打算怎样弄啊?

 

B: I’m going to offer it as an electronic download. If I can sell, say, a thousand copies on my own, then maybe I can get the attention of one of the big publishers.

我打算以电子文件下载的方式提供作品。如果我卖得出去,比方说自己卖个一千本,也许我就能获得某家大出版社的青睐。

 

M: That’s impressive. But what about editing and promotion?

听来令人激赏。可是编辑怎么办?宣传怎么办?

 

B: Well, it won’t be edited in the traditional sense, but the important thing is that it will be available to the public. Also, I have to promote it myself, but that’s fine with me. People can visit my new website to find out all about the book.

它是没办法照传统概念来编辑,但最重要的是,它有办法让社会大众人人看得到。另外,我会自己做宣传,那没什么大不了。大家到我的新网站参观,就可以获知这本书的大概了。

 

M: Uh-huh, and how are all of us curious readers supposed to get our hands on it?

这样啊,那我们这些求知欲超强的读者要怎样才能拜读大作呢?

 

B: E-book reader software is available for free, so people will be able to read it on their laptops, pocket PCs, or even Palms.

电子书的软件到处都可以免费取得,所以每个人从他们的笔记本电脑啊、口袋型计算机啊、掌中型计算机啊,都可以读到我的作品。

 

M: Great, your purple prose will be all over cyberspace! Forgive me if I don’t burn my library card just yet.

太棒了,你那部精雕细琢的大作就要传遍整个计算机网络了。如果我还没烧掉我的图书馆证,你可要见谅啊。

 

End

 

Vocabulary

单词发音

 

emerge [ɪˋmɝdʒ] v. 出现[(+from/out of)]

authority [əˋθɔrətɪ] n. 官方,当局

for now 现在, 此时, 眼下

download [ˋdaʊn͵lod] n.【计算机】下载

promotion [prəˋmoʃən] n.(商品等的)促销,推销

get one’s hands on  把……弄到手

purple prose  华丽的散文  writing that is more complicated and formal than necessary

prose [proz] n. 散文;散文体

 

 

Sentence of the Day

She decided to strike out on her own.

她决定主动出击。