EZCNN 易英网

当前位置:Home 英语教材 Intermediate English Travel (旅游景点) When in Rome 罗马假期

When in Rome 罗马假期

 

课文朗读

 

课文讲解

 

繁體中文譯本

 

Rebecca and Ian are heading to Rome in a week. The couple is checking out a guidebook:  罗贝卡和伊恩在一个礼拜后要到罗马旅游。他们正在查看旅游指南。

 

R: So much to see, so little time.

有这么多地方要参观,时间却那么少。

 

I: I know. There are Etruscan tombs, baroque basilicas, catacombs, temples, palaces, you name it – think we’ll need a month to take it all in.

我知道。你想得到的都有,如伊特拉士坎人的坟墓、巴洛克风格的大教堂、地下墓穴、神庙、皇宫。我想我们需要整整一个月才能都参观完。

 

R: As long as I can roam the streets and soak up the historical atmosphere, I’ll be a happy camper.

只要我可以在街道上漫步,沈浸在历史古迹的气氛中,我就心满意足了。

 

I: We must set up an itinerary to ensure we see everything.

我们需要设计一张行程表以确保我们什么都看过了。

 

R: Forget the itinerary. I don’t know about you, but I’m going on vacation. I don’t want to be following a schedule.

别理那张行程表了。我是不知道你啦,但我是要去度假,我不想一直跟着行程跑。

 

I: But what if we miss something? We’d be kicking ourselves if we forget to visit the Forum.

但是如果我们错过什么景点怎么办?如果我们忘了去参观像是古罗马广场区,我们会恨死自己的。

 

R: We will not forget to visit the Forum.

我们不会忘了去看古罗马广场区的。

 

I: We’re going to be organized. Here goes: Day one … let’s see … we can walk to the Colosseum, through the Forum, then up to the Piazza di Spagna

我们必须有组织一点,就像这样:第一天……让我看看……我们可以散步到圆形竞技场,穿过古罗马广场区,然后再到西班牙广场……

 

R: Slow down. We’ll burn ourselves out before midday.

慢一点,这样我们在中午之前就会筋疲力竭了。

 

I: … then it’s across to the Vatican

……然后再到梵蒂冈……

 

R: Whoa, Nelly. I was planning on going on a romantic getaway with my boyfriend, not some obsessive schedule maker.

哇,不是这样的。我是打算和我的男朋友去度一个浪漫的假期,不是和一个会过分计划行程的人。

 

I: I’m sure we can squeeze some romantic walks into the schedule. How about after the Vatican?

我很确定我们勉强还可以在旅游行程中浪漫地散步。在去梵蒂冈之后怎么样?

 

R: How about you going on a package tour that’ll have everything planned for you instead?

你不如去参加帮你计划一切的旅行团,你觉得怎样?

 

Vocabulary

单词发音

 

guidebook [ˋgaɪd͵bʊk] n.〔关于城市﹑地区等的〕旅行指南

Etruscan [ɪˋtrʌskən] n & adj. 伊特鲁里亚人(的)

basilica [bəˋzɪlɪkə] n. 梵蒂冈大教堂; 长方形会堂, 长方形教堂

catacomb [ˋkætə͵kom] n. 地下墓穴

roam [rom] v. 闲逛﹐漫步

itinerary [aɪˋtɪnə͵rɛrɪ] n. 旅行计划; 预定行程

Forum [ˋforəm] n. 古罗马城镇的广场

Colosseum [͵kɑləˋsiəm] n. 古罗马圆形大竞技场

piazza [pɪˋætsə] n.(意大利的)广场;露天市场

Vatican [ˋvætɪkən] n. 梵蒂冈〔罗马教廷所在地〕

nelly [ˋnɛlɪ]【英口】〔幽默或粗鲁口气〕绝不可能﹐ 当然不 Brit slang not under any circumstances; certainly not

getaway [ˋgɛtə͵we] n. 短期休假

 

Sentence of the Day

He started to get under her skin.

他开始烦她。

 

get under one’s skin  剌激某人,使某人感到激动

 

 

 

课文讲解

 

It’s day one of the Roman vacation. A problem has occurred in the Piazza di Spagna, at the foot of the Spanish Steps.  这天是罗马假期的第一天。在西班牙广场的西班牙式阶梯发生了一件事。

 

I: Pickpocketed! I can’t believe I’ve been pickpocketed! We’ve been here for four hours and I’ve already been robbed.

扒手!我真不敢相信我被扒了!我们才在这里四个小时我就被抢了。

 

R: Calm down. At least you didn’t have any plastic in your wallet. The losses are minimal.

冷静一点。至少你皮包里没有任何信用卡,损失还算小。

 

I: But, my money! And … oh, God … the itinerary! The itinerary was in my wallet!

但是我的钱!还有……喔,天啊……行程表!那张行程表也在我的皮包里!

 

R: Whatever will we do without your precious itinerary?

没有你那张精确的行程表我们该怎么办?

 

I: You’ve getting off on this, aren’t you? You hated my schedule from day one.

妳其实很高兴对不对?妳从一开始就讨厌我的行程表。

 

R: Look. We’re in Rome. It’s sublime. Let’s not let one little hurdle ruin your vacation.

听着。我们现在在罗马,一个令人赞叹的地方。我们不能让一点小困难破坏我们的假期。

 

I: I guess you’re right. I did go a little overboard.

我想妳是对的。行程表的事我的确有点过分了。

 

R: Let’s take a breather. A leisurely walk in Villa Doria Pamphili, the largest park in Rome, will put everything in perspective.

让我们休息一下。到罗马最大的公园Villa Doria Pamphili悠闲地散步,会让我们对一切都有正确的认识。

 

I: That’s only a couple of kilometers away from the Vatican.

那离梵蒂冈只有几公里远而已。

 

R: Or we could go to Gianicolo Hill, a short stroll from the holy city.

或者我们可以从圣城走一小段路散步到Gianicolo Hill。

 

I: Maybe we could get in touch with our inner child and take in a Punch & Judy show.

或许我们也可以满足一下我们的童心,去看Punch & Judy的表演。

 

R: Ooh, that sounds like fun. That wasn’t on the original itinerary, was it?

哇,听起来很有趣耶。那不在原本的行程表上,对不对?

 

I: Neither was the romantic candlelit dinner I’m treating you to tonight.

我今晚要请妳吃的烛光晚餐也不在行程表上。

 

R: I’m beginning to like the sounds of this new improved, itinerary-free vacation.

我开始喜欢这个有所改善、没有固定行程安排的假期了。

 

End

 

Vocabulary

单词发音

 

pickpocket [ˋpɪk͵pɑkɪt] n. 扒手

plastic [ˋplæstɪk] n. 信用卡

get off(使)处于极度快感中,(使)产生腾云驾雾的感觉 to feel great pleasure or gratification

sublime [səˋblaɪm] adj. 壮丽的,宏伟的

overboard [ˋovɚ͵bord] adj.【美】【口】非常热心的,全身心投入的

take a breather 短暂休息 take a short break from one's activities in order to relax

in perspective 正确地; 不夸大; 恰当 within a reasonable view or appraisal

inner child 内在孩童(指人心中孩童般的情感)Psychol the part of the psyche believed to retain feelings as they were experienced in childhood

sound [saʊnd] n. 感觉,印象

 

 

Sentence of the Day

She flies by the seat of her pants.

她毫无计划地要出发了。

 

fly by the seat of one’s pants  凭直觉而不仔细思考(做某事)

 

 

Rome's top 10 attractions