EZCNN 易英网

当前位置:Home CNN每日新闻 CNN 10 September, 2019 CNN 10 - September 19, 2019

CNN 10 - September 19, 2019

Israel Waits To See How New Government Shapes Up; Samsung Hopes Innovation Will Help Weather Multiple Challenges; Spelunking in New Zealand

CARL AZUZ, CNN 10 ANCHOR: Results are coming in from Israel`s second general election in six months time but there are still some questions

about the country`s leadership going forward. That`s our first story today on CNN 10. I`m Carl Azuz. Thank you for watching. It was a close race.

It could be days before the certified tally comes in with votes still arriving from Israelis in other parts of the world and it could be weeks

tally [ˋtælɪ] n.(比赛中的)比分,得分

before the nation knows who its prime minister will be going forward, and what its government looks like. The vote is being watched around the world

because Israel is a close ally of the United States. Israel has several rivals in the Middle East and the policies of Israel`s government helped

shape the peace process between Israelis and Palestinians.

Election results on the path forward for Israel`s government are uncertain. There are dozens of political parties in the country and no one party got

the minimum 61 seats that are necessary to hold a majority in parliament and choose Israel`s prime minister. So coalitions have to be formed.

Groups of parties that agree to work together and based on the results of Tuesday`s election so far, it looks like the party of former Israeli

Military Leader Benny Gantz won 32 seats one more seat than the party of incumbent Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

So each of these men is doing all he can to convince a coalition of parties to support him to get to that 61 seat threshold and press forward with

press forward 推进, 挺进, 勇猛前进, 奋勇前进

governing Israel. A CNN global affairs analyst says if neither of them can form that coalition, another third election could be held in January or the

different parties would have to come together in a national unity government, when rival groups agree to govern together. It`s not certain

they`d all be willing to do that but Israel has had several unity governments in the past.

While that nation works to chart a path forward, technology companies around the world are trying to do the same thing, facing the challenges of

an electronic landscape that`s always changing. Smartphone sales for example are on the slide. People aren`t upgrading as often as they used to

on the slide 每况愈下,走下坡路

and some are opting for cheaper phones. The world`s largest smartphone maker is Samsung It`s feeling that pressure. It`s also dealing with fallout

fallout [ˋfɔl͵aʊt] n.(政治)余波;附带结果

from its products that failed in the past like the Galaxy Note 7. Some of those were prone to catching fire. The South Korean company could

also suffer from a trade dispute that its nation has with Japan and one of Samsung`s leaders is fighting charges of bribery. So the company is

fighting headwinds as it fights to stay ahead of its competition.

headwind [ˋhɛd͵wɪnd] n. 顶头风,逆风

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: These days Samsung is in a constant state of crisis. At least that`s how the company would describe it.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We believe the crisis is our opportunity for our future.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The innovation is our - - is our job.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: For Samsung crisis seems to equal innovation.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: One thing that Samsung is very good at is, they`re very, very aggressive in the way they approach the technology space.

Sometimes a big overly aggressive but in the grand scheme of things it`s good because it keeps them on that leading edge of technology.

grand scheme 大蓝图;大计划;大阴谋

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Here in the secretive labs in this South Korean company`s headquarters, engineers are searching for Samsung`s next big

thing. This is the digital cockpit.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We`d like to bring the mobile experience if that bigger as much as possible.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: You want to turn a car into a mobile phone.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: That`s right. That`s right.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Here`s the thing, Samsung`s sees a near future where cars are driving themselves and drivers, well they will need entertainment.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: This could show you what Samsung can do.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Five years ago Samsung wasn`t a player in automotive entertainment but by 2016 it spent $8 billion to acquire U.S. based Harmon.

And just two years later Samsung became the world`s number one distributor in the industry with about $5 billion in revenue according to analysts.

Ah, this is the lab.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes. This is our lab.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: And you`re the robot guy.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Right.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Elsewhere on campus, teams are working on healthcare technology a relatively new field for Samsung. In 2010, the company

elsewhere [ˋɛls͵hwɛr] adv.  在别处,向别处

released its first medical device in a calculated bid to turn healthcare into a new growth engine. Recently Samsung is focused on sensors and

wearables. These robot guys developed a product they call the "Gate Enhancing Motivation System" or GEMS. Doesn`t feel heavy. Those are

sensors located on my hips and measure the angles created by the distance each of my legs moves and typical walk and motors lift my legs based on

that personalized gate giving my muscles a big boost. Oh, goodness. It just kicks up my feet. The team believes this could one day help elderly

and disabled users with physical therapy and exercise.

Samsung has its eyes on the exoskeleton industry which analysts say could be worth nearly $6 billion within the next decade. Nearby, another

exoskeleton [͵ɛksoˋskɛlətn] n.【动】外骨骼;皮骨骼;外甲

engineer`s developing technology to help the visually impaired see. To show me how it works, I`m more or less blinded with these half opaque glasses.

opaque [oˋpek] adj. 不透明的,不透光的

It`s very blurry. I can`t see anything. Then given a VR kit paired with a Samsung phone and the app. Oh, I see. The software`s algorithms help

algorithm [ˋælgə͵rɪðm] n.【数】互除法;算法;规则系统

detect even the faintest outlines and also invert colors and enhance contrast so you can see. This is incredible. For executives like

invert [ɪnˋvɝt] v.【音】使转位;使反向;使倒转;使上下颠倒;使前后倒置

Kim (ph), the lab itself is Samsung`s real innovation.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: There are creative startup cultures inside Samsung. So we are making our culture different.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: As global smartphone`s sales decline, the world`s number one smartphone maker needs a new blockbuster product. It`s racing to

innovate but not to market. In the wake of several failed product launches, including the first roll out of its latest Galaxy Fold, Samsung

may now recognize the need to balance speed with execution.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

AZUZ: 10 Second Trivia. Despite its name, a glowworm is actually a type of what? Cockroach, beetle, planarian or arachnid. Surprising, glowworms

planarian [pləˋnɛrɪən] n.【动】真涡虫

arachnid [əˋræknɪd] n.【动】蛛形纲动物

aren`t worms at all. They`re actually beetles.

(see another video below)

I`ve said before I`ve learned so much working on this show. It was on a trip to New Zealand that our friends at "Great Big Story" (ph) found a site

to see where there isn`t much light to see at all. Limestone caves are typically deep, dark places. That makes them perfect to see the work of

glowworms which uses their light to attract a mate or attract a meal.

AZUZ: Waffles and Hemmingway, sounds like an art film no one wants to see. It`s actually the name of this pair. Waffles is the miniature horse and

Hemmingway is the goose. They were rescued from a property in bad shape a couple months ago. Since then they`ve been inseparable and that could have

been a problem for a farm looking to adopt only one of them. Well a new owner was found and both Waffles and Hemmingway get to stay together at

their new home.

So thankfully no one "waffled" on the decision to give them a "hemmingway" to stay friends because whether they`re "horsing" around or "goosing" up

their stable. They have a "honking" good time with the "main man" and the "spruced goose" singing along in the barnyard. Staying true to "farm" and

being good for the "gander". I`m Carl "Agoose" out of puns and out of time on CNN 10.

END

tally [ˋtælɪ] n.(比赛中的)比分,得分

press forward 推进, 挺进, 勇猛前进, 奋勇前进

on the slide 每况愈下, 走下坡路

fallout [ˋfɔl͵aʊt] n.(政治)余波;附带结果

headwind [ˋhɛd͵wɪnd] n. 顶头风,逆风

grand scheme 大蓝图;大计划;大阴谋

elsewhere [ˋɛls͵hwɛr] adv. 在别处, 向别处

exoskeleton [͵ɛksoˋskɛlətn] n.【动】外骨骼;皮骨骼;外甲

opaque [oˋpek] adj. 不透明的,不透光的

algorithm [ˋælgə͵rɪðm] n.【数】互除法;算法;规则系统

invert [ɪnˋvɝt] v.【音】使转位; 使反向;使倒转;使上下颠倒;使前后倒置

planarian [pləˋnɛrɪən] n.【动】真涡虫

arachnid [əˋræknɪd] n.【动】蛛形纲动物

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: One hundred and fifty feet underground in 30 million year old caves. An unforgettable site glitters in the dark. The Waitomo Glowworm Caves

in New Zealand are home to about 30,000 endemic arachnocampa luminosa glowworms. They spend their days spinning silk nests from the

endemic [ɛnˋdɛmɪk] adj. 某地特有的

ceilings and then lowering threads to fish for prey, much like a spider. The luminescent beadlike strings are spellbinding. The glowworms use light

luminescent [͵luməˋnɛsnt] adj. 发冷光的;冷光的

spellbinding [ˋspɛl͵baɪndɪŋ] adj. 引人入胜的;十分吸引人的

to attract prey and burn off waste. The glow is created by a combination of chemicals given off by the glowworm and the oxygen in the air. The

caves are ideal for the worms as they need a dark, damp location where their light can be seen. The Waitomo Caves they call home are named after

damp [dæmp] adj. 有湿气的;潮湿的

the Maori words wait which means water and tomo which means hole or shaft. And although they live deep underground, the journey to see them is never

shaft [ʃæft] n.【矿】矿井;竖井

one to disappoint.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

endemic [ɛnˋdɛmɪk] adj. 某地特有的

luminescent [͵luməˋnɛsnt] adj. 发冷光的;冷光的

spellbinding [ˋspɛl͵baɪndɪŋ] adj. 引人入胜的;十分吸引人的

damp [dæmp] adj. 有湿气的;潮湿的

shaft [ʃæft] n.【矿】矿井;竖井

当前位置:首頁 CNN每日新闻 CNN 10 September, 2019 CNN 10 - September 19, 2019