EZCNN 易英网

当前位置:Home CNN每日新闻 CNN 10 January, 2020 CNN 10 - January 17, 2020

CNN 10 - January 17, 2020

Martin Luther King Jr.`s Life and Death Remembered on the Eve of MLK Day; A Look Back at the 50th Anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr. Day; Having a Four-Year Degree May be More Important than Where it Came From

CARL AZUZ, CNN 10 ANCHOR: Knock-knock. Who`s there? Friday. Friday who? Friday`s are awesome.

I`m Carl Azuz for CNN 10 and this particular Friday leads into a three-day weekend for many folks across America because January 20th is the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.

It`s named for the American Baptist minister and civil rights leader who was actually born on January 15th in 1929, but for

Baptist [ˋbæptɪst] n. 浸礼会教友

more than three decades, the federal holiday that honors his accomplishments has been celebrated on the third Monday in January.

Public events, marches, speeches by civil rights leaders and politicians are all part of it. And the U.S. government recognizes Martin Luther King

Jr. Day as a day of service. It`s said to be a day on, not a day off. And the goal of that is to encourage Americans to volunteer in their

communities to improve them.

Dr. King himself was the leader of the Montgomery Improvement Association, named for the city of Montgomery, Alabama, which is now known as the

birthplace of the U.S. Civil Rights Movement in the 1950s. King had a reputation for being an eloquent speaker. He felt strongly that peaceful

eloquent [ˋɛləkwənt] adj. 雄辩的,有说服力的

events like marches were the best methods of achieving civil rights for African Americans.

civil rights 民权

King`s influence was growing when he founded the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in 1957. And in 1963 he led the March on Washington,

where he delivered his famous "I Have a Dream" speech. The next year, Dr. King was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

When changes within the civil rights movement and occasional discouragement challenged him in the late 1960s, King found revival through his Christian

discouragement [dɪsˋkɝɪdʒmənt] n. 沮丧,气馁

faith. CNN`s Dana Bash filed this report on Dr. King`s legacy on the 50th anniversary of his death.

(BEGIN AUDIO CLIP)

DANA BASH, CNN CORRESPONDENT: This is unbelievable. If you look up there, it says Mason Temple. This is where Martin Luther King, 50 years ago, gave

his incredible "Mountaintop" speech.

MARTIN LUTHER KING JR., ACTIVIST, U.S. CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT: I just want to do God`s will. And he`s allowed me to go up to the mountain. And

I`ve looked over. And I`ve seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the

Promised Land.

BASH: That night, April 3rd, 1968, King checked in here, the Lorraine Motel.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It`s just around 5:45 and he steps outside on the balcony of room 306. And he speaks to other guests that are in the

courtyard. At approximately 6:01, a fatal shot rings out. Dr. King lies mortally wounded on the balcony. He`s taken from the balcony to St.

ring out 响起

mortally [ˋmɔrt!ɪ] adv. 致命地

Joseph`s Hospital and he`s pronounced dead at 7:05 p.m.

LYNDON B. JOHNSON, FORMER PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES: Shocked and saddened by the brutal slaying tonight of Dr. Martin Luther King. I ask

every citizen to reject the blind violence that has struck Dr. King who lived by non-violence.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: To me, it`s like a return into something rudimentary and fundamental. I mean, this is where Martin Luther King breathed his last breath.

rudimentary [͵rudəˋmɛntəri] adj. 早期的; 原始的

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The owner of the Lorraine Hotel decided not to recheck this room out in Dr. King`s honor and memory.

BASH: This is exactly how it was left?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It was left this way, yes.

(SINGING)

BASH: Tell me how you`re feeling. I was watching you standing here.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Well, you know, it`s very emotional to come here. I was not here that evening.

He changed my life. He inspired me to stand up, to speak up and to never give up.

(END AUDIO CLIP)

AZUZ: Ten-second trivia. Which of these European universities is the oldest, University of Bologna, Cambridge, Oxford, or Salamanca?

Italy`s University of Bologna was founded in 1088, making it the oldest university in the Western world.

There are a lot of good jobs in the United States that do not require a four-year college degree. But for decades, studies have indicated that

indicate [ˋɪndə͵ket] v. 表明;象征;暗示

people with college degrees usually earn more than people without them, at least on average.

What might surprise you is that it may not matter so much where that degree comes from. Even though elite schools like Princeton, Harvard, Columbia,

MIT, and Yale frequently top the list of America`s best colleges, there are a lot of millionaires and some billionaires who started out at community

college, and some who never finished a college degree.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The vast majority of American schools actually accept well over 50 percent of their applicants. But there is a tier that are

highly selective that take fewer than 20 percent, 10 percent, and in some cases fewer than 6 percent of their applicants. And what parents and kids

will do to get into those schools is practically heroic.

There`s a question that no one addresses, which is: Are those graduates of elite schools who go on to great success, is that a reflection of what

happened to them at those elite schools or is it a reflection of a lifetime of privilege that invariably led to admission into and attendance at one of

those elite schools?

WARREN BUFFET, CEO, BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY: In my experience in business there is very little difference, if any, between a very high-priced business

education and what`s available for a lot less money. I learned just as much at University of Nebraska as I did at Wharton.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: You hear a lot of successful people who attended elite schools say you don`t need to. They don`t notice some appreciable difference

appreciable [əˋpriʃɪəb!] adj.(大得)可以看到(或察觉到)的,相当可观的

in the quality of people who came from, say, a large public school with a fairly high acceptance rate and someone came from a very

elite private college with a low acceptance rate.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: If somebody graduated from a great university, that may be an indication that they will be capable of great things, but it`s not

necessarily the case.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We`ve turned the college admissions process into this sort of shopping mall where we view certain things as the Neiman Marcus,

others as the JCPenney, and God forbid you end up in the Target across the street. But what matters much, much more than where you go to school, and this is -- there`s no doubt about this, is what you do when you get to that school.

God forbid: a way of saying that you hope something does not happen; 但愿不会发生这事…

AZUZ: There are certain advantages to being the tallest firefighter in the department.

MALE: We put in smoke detectors. He doesn`t need a ladder.

MALE: At seven feet tall, Brandon (ph) Berridge may be the tallest firefighter on the planet. He still has to train like his colleagues in Tullahoma, Tennessee,

and they sometimes enjoy cutting him down with nicknames like Shorty.

BRANDON BERRIDGE: One of the officer`s kid`s calls me Aflac, because I have to duck all the time. (LAUGHS)

duck [dʌk] v. 突然低下(头,身子)

AZUZ: But when you`ve got the height, you`re in a firefight, you don`t take flight; you don`t get stage fight. You just might get a rise out of your

good luck, putting down the flames that ain`t tall enough to bring you up. Some people spit fire; Brandon Berridge puts it out. Hear the siren, see

the tall guy; just give him a shout. The seven-footer do-gooder unfolds from the truck and high rises to the challenge when that challenge heats

up.

All right. We`ve got some folks in Mansfield, Texas watching today. Mansfield Summit High School, we love you. Thanks for subscribing and

commenting at youtube.com/cnn10. We`ll be searching today`s comments there for Tuesday`s Shout Out School. So we hope your weekend is totally You

Tubular.

END

Baptist [ˋbæptɪst] n. 浸礼会教友

eloquent [ˋɛləkwənt] adj. 雄辩的,有说服力的

civil rights 民权

discouragement [dɪsˋkɝɪdʒmənt] n. 沮丧,气馁

ring out 响起

mortally [ˋmɔrt!ɪ] adv. 致命地

rudimentary [͵rudəˋmɛntəri] adj. 早期的; 原始的

indicate [ˋɪndə͵ket] v. 表明;象征;暗示

appreciable [əˋpriʃɪəb!] adj.(大得)可以看到(或察觉到)的,相当可观的

God forbid: a way of saying that you hope something does not happen; 但愿不会发生这事…

duck [dʌk] v. 突然低下(头,身子)

当前位置:首頁 CNN每日新闻 CNN 10 January, 2020 CNN 10 - January 17, 2020