EZCNN 易英网

当前位置:Home CNN每日新闻 CNN 10 August, 2024 CNN 10 - August 20, 2024

CNN 10 - August 20, 2024

Science of Earthquakes and Whether It`s Possible to Predict Them Accurately; Window Into Life in North Korea, a Place Few Outside the Nation Get The Chance to Encounter.

COY WIRE, CNN 10 ANCHOR: Hello, and happy Tuesday everyone. I want to start by giving a shout out to all the teachers out there, uplifting, informing,

inspiring us. Students, dap up your teacher, give a handshake or high five, let them know you appreciate them.

dap up 与(某人)触拳(以示问候、庆祝或崇敬等)

I`m Coy Wire. This is CNN 10. And we`re going to start today with news out of Japan. The island country in East Asia, located in the Pacific Ocean, is

worried about a once in a century mega quake. But does it need to be?

On August 8th, parts of the western Japan area felt the ground shake from a 7.1 magnitude earthquake, prompting both local and national government

agencies to react. Meteorologists quickly issued a first of its kind nationwide warning that a major earthquake could hit within the next week.

The concern was that the smaller quake could trigger a much larger one from Japan`s Nankai Trough, which is considered the nation`s most dangerous fault.

trough [trɔf] n. 檐槽,天沟

Nankai Trough 南海海槽

The alert caused officials to close beaches, cancel events, slow down trains, and even stockpile supplies. In the end, most advisories were

stockpile [ˋstɑk͵paɪl] n.(应急用的)储备物资(如原料,武器等)

advisory [ədˋvaɪzərɪ] n.(尤指美国气象局发布的)报告;公告

lifted, and thankfully there was no major damage from the 7.1 magnitude quake. Still, the country remains on high alert, prepping for any potential

emergencies.

One week after the advisory, Japan lifted the warning about a potential mega quake. The event has experts questioning whether an alert system like

this is accurate or even necessary, and it has some scientists wondering when they should step in if they see clues that an earthquake may be on the

horizon.

As one seismologist in the U.S. put it, you don`t want a mass evacuation panic that`s not warranted, but you want people not to go on their merry ways.

warrant [ˋwɔrənt] v. 授权给;批准

go on one’s merry ways: to continue doing what one has been doing; carry on with a course of action regardless of the consequences

Japan is no stranger to strong earthquakes. It`s located in the Ring of Fire, an area known for intense seismic and volcanic activity around the

Pacific Ocean. The most devastating quake in recent Japanese history was the 9.1 magnitude Tohoku earthquake in 2011, which caused a tsunami and

killed some 20,000 people.

CNN`s Hanako Montgomery has more.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

HANAKO MONTGOMERY, CNN INTERNATIONAL CORRESPONDENT: Why is Japan concerned about a mega quake? Japan is an earthquake-prone country, and it`s been dreading

prone [pron] adj. 有……倾向的,易于……的

dread [drɛd] v. 惧怕;担心

the big one for years. But in early August, it issued its first ever mega quake advisory, meaning there`s now an increased risk of it happening.

The big one, also known as the Nankai Trough earthquake, would hit somewhere along the southern coast and could be massive, measuring eight or

higher in magnitude. It could trigger huge tsunamis like what we saw during the March 11th disaster, causing trillions in damage and potentially

killing hundreds of thousands.

Japan advised people to stay prepared, but it didn`t suggest any evacuations and downplayed any immediate danger. Still, the Prime Minister

downplay [ˋdaʊnple] v. 将……轻描淡写;贬低;低估

cancelled his trip abroad, people are stockpiling food, and some are cancelling their summer plans. It sounds alarming, but how worried should

alarming [əˋlɑrmɪŋ] adj. 惊人的;令人担忧的;告急的

we really be?

Government experts estimate that within the next 30 years, there`s a 70-80% chance of this mega quake happening. And even with the risk increase right

now, the chances of it happening are still under 1%. This 30-year estimate is also based on just one theory that uses past quake data and records of

seabed changes in southern Japan.

We don`t yet have the science to predict when, where, or how big an earthquake will be. But those in Japan remain prepared because an

earthquake can happen anytime, anywhere.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

WIRE: Pop quiz hotshot! Which one of these nations is often referred to as a "hermit kingdom?" Switzerland, Germany, South Korea, or North Korea?

hermit [ˋhɝmɪt] n. 隐士,遁世者

With known secrecy and willful isolation from the rest of the world, North Korea is the answer here.

secrecy [ˋsikrəsɪ] n. 秘密,秘密状态;保密,守口如瓶

willful [ˋwɪlfəl] adj. 任性的;固执的;故意的;存心的

Now, imagine how interesting it would be if you got a rare window into that secretive hermit kingdom of around 25 million people that sits across the

northern border of South Korea. That`s what happened when one man in Canada used his hobby of surfing satellite channels to stumble on the North Korean

surf [sɝf] v. 上网浏览(在计算机网络上、或电视频道上搜索数据或娱乐);快速连续地看

stumble [ˋstʌmb!] v. 偶然碰见,碰巧发现[(+on/upon/across)]

state television and then shared what he is seeing on YouTube.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

WILL RIPLEY, CNN SENIOR INTERNATIONAL CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): Using his backyard satellite dish, Peter Fairlie was just scanning for sports

channels --

PETER FAIRLIE, BROADCAST ENGINEER: Where we go? We have a signal.

RIPLEY: But the Canadian engineer from outside Toronto stumbled upon something he never expected.

FAIRLIE: And that`s when I saw the color bars, the test card, and Pyongyang written on it.

That triggered my curiosity, right, was this really coming from North Korea.

RIPLEY: Sure enough, it was a live satellite feed of North Korean state television, from daily dancercise to cooking programs to patriotic propaganda.

dancercise [ˋdænsɚˌsaɪz] n. 舞蹈健身操(由dance 和exercise 拼缀而成)

propaganda [͵prɑpəˋgændə] n. 宣传,宣传活动(或计划,方法)

FAIRLIE: It`s very kind of 1980s, too. It`s very MTV their videos.

RIPLEY: Broadcasting mass games, military parades, and yes, missile launches to some 26 million people, to call Kim Jong Un secret state home.

game [gem] n. 运动,比赛

FAIRLIE: The videos all of Kim are how great he is and everybody, you know, crying and loving him.

RIPLEY: Peter began recording.

Do you feel like these programs do have power to influence people`s minds?

FAIRLIE: Absolutely. After watching one full day of the North Korean content for two nights in a row, I just had a lot of very bizarre dreams as

if I was there.

RIPLEY: Hosting an edited version on his YouTube channel.

host [host] v. 主办,主持

Did you think this was going to go viral?

go viral 爆红

FAIRLIE: No, absolutely not.

RIPLEY: Go viral, he did. Peter`s videos racking up almost 2 million views in less than two months.

FAIRLIE: People were basically giving comments that were all over the spectrum from they loved it to they were terrified by it.

spectrum [ˋspɛktrəm] n. 范围;幅度

RIPLEY: Peter`s pirated Pyongyang propaganda, a window into what the North Korean state wants its people to see and believe.

pirate [ˋpaɪrət] v. 非法翻印; 剽窃

(END VIDEOTAPE)

WIRE: Continuing with our CNN 10 Olympian series this week, I caught up with Team USA swimmer Katie Ledecky, whose work ethic, zoom-like focus and discipline

work ethic 职业道德

zoom [zum] n. 变焦摄影;变焦镜头

discipline [ˋdɪsəplɪn] n. 纪律,风纪;训练

are the stuff books could be written about. With nine Olympic golds now, 14 medals in all, she`s the most dominant female swimmer we`ve

stuff book: packing a book full of information or content

ever seen. Let`s go inside the mind of Katie Ledecky, the most decorated female American Olympian of all time.

decorated [ˋdɛkə͵retɪd] adj. 授予獎章的

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

WIRE: What are some of the things that maybe you take for granted that you do or have done over the years that other people might find fascinating?

KATIE LEDECKY, USA SWIMMER: I think I just try really hard to be consistent each year. You know, it`s not just every four years for me. I`m competing

at world championships in between Olympics and a lot of other meets as well. So it`s not just a few races every four years. It`s a lot of -- a lot

meet [mit] n.【美】集会;竞赛大会

of training, a lot of races in between these big moments.

WIRE: What`s one of the sacrifices your family made that was either quirky or just something you`re going to look back and say, wow, they really loved me?

quirky [ˋkwɝkɪ]adj. 古怪的,独特的

LEDECKY: Well, definitely a lot of early mornings. I think any swim parent or swimmer would -- would say that we have early morning practices. When I

was, you know, in middle school, high school, some of those practices would start at 4:45 in the morning.

So my parents would be up at 4:00, make me a quick breakfast, drive me to the pool, you know, definitely sacrifice some hours of sleep and just were

great sports about it all. It was never a sacrifice to them. They were just supporting me and -- and supporting my goals.

WIRE: You must be so proud. Now, Simone Biles told me she would be a honey badger in the gym, a sloth at home, though. What would your spirit animal

spirit animal 一个人认为最能够代表自己(自己的个性、感受、本能、技能、态度...等)的动物。

be to describe the aura of Katie Ledecky?

aura [ˋɔrə] n.(一些人声称在人或动物身体周围看到的)光环,光轮

LEDECKY: I think I would have to say a porpoise because my -- my summer league swim team, we were the Palisades porpoises. So that`s my go-to

porpoise [ˋpɔrpəs] n. 海豚;鼠海豚

palisade [͵pælɪˋsed] n.(做梉篱用的)尖板条,尖梉

go-to(为解决某个问题或做某件事情的)必找的; 必选的(人)

answer. And obviously, I love the water, so.

WIRE: That`s pretty good. Picture me this. The year is 2052. You`ve just finished your last Olympics.

LEDECKY: Oh, come on. No, no, no, no, no.

WIRE: Coach Ledecky, would you like that? I feel like you`d be good at that.

LEDECKY: I don`t know. I -- you know, I love swimming and I think no matter what I do beyond my swimming career, I think I`ll always stay in the sport

in some capacity.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

WIRE: Today`s story getting a 10 out of 10 is making some waves. Literally on the coast of Rhode Island, Anita and Dawaye Ratchford are driving a

Rolls-Royce shaped boat on the water. They`ve been together for more than 20 years. He`s a car enthusiast. She`s an ocean lover. And "schooner" than

later, they decided to bring their passions together. How "aboat" that?

They said sometimes they get some stern looks, but mostly just smiles and waves. I`ve never seen any "rudder" one like it. That reminds me of one of

stern [stɝn] adj. 严厉的; 苛刻的; n. 船尾

my favorite tongue twisters. Say toy boat as fast as you can five times without messing up. Toy boat, toy boat, toy boat, toy boat, toy boat.

tongue twister 绕口令

All right. Remember, tomorrow is #YourWordWednesday. So follow me @coywire on Instagram, Snapchat and TikTok. Put your unique vocabulary word and

definition in the comment section of my most recent post. And we`ll choose a winner to work in tomorrow`s show along with a shout out for you and your

school. So put that in there, too.

Our shout out today goes to Dwight D. Eisenhower Middle School in Goddard, Kansas. Rise up.

Let`s do it again tomorrow, y`all. I`m Coy Wire. And we are CNN 10.

END

dap up 与(某人)触拳(以示问候、庆祝或崇敬等)

trough [trɔf] n. 檐槽,天沟

Nankai Trough 南海海槽

stockpile [ˋstɑk͵paɪl] n.(应急用的)储备物资(如原料,武器等)

advisory [ədˋvaɪzərɪ] n.(尤指美国气象局发布的)报告;公告

warrant [ˋwɔrənt] v. 授权给;批准

go on one’s merry ways: to continue doing what one has been doing; carry on with a course of action regardless of the consequences

prone [pron] adj. 有……倾向的,易于……的

dread [drɛd] v. 惧怕;担心

downplay [ˋdaʊnple] v. 将……轻描淡写;贬低;低估

alarming [əˋlɑrmɪŋ] adj. 惊人的;令人担忧的;告急的

hermit [ˋhɝmɪt] n. 隐士,遁世者

secrecy [ˋsikrəsɪ] n. 秘密,秘密状态;保密,守口如瓶

willful [ˋwɪlfəl] adj. 任性的;固执的;故意的;存心的

surf [sɝf] v. 上网浏览(在计算机网络上、或电视频道上搜索数据或娱乐);快速连续地看

stumble [ˋstʌmb!] v. 偶然碰见,碰巧发现[(+on/upon/across)]

dancercise [ˋdænsɚˌsaɪz] n. 舞蹈健身操(由dance 和exercise 拼缀而成)

propaganda [͵prɑpəˋgændə] n. 宣传,宣传活动(或计划,方法)

game [gem] n. 运动,比赛

host [host] v. 主办,主持

go viral 爆红

spectrum [ˋspɛktrəm] n. 范围;幅度

pirate [ˋpaɪrət] v. 非法翻印; 剽窃

work ethic 职业道德

zoom [zum] n. 变焦摄影;变焦镜头

discipline [ˋdɪsəplɪn] n. 纪律,风纪;训练

stuff book 资(材)料书; packing a book full of information or content

decorated [ˋdɛkə͵retɪd] adj. 授予獎章的

meet [mit] n.【美】集会;竞赛大会

quirky [ˋkwɝkɪ] adj. 古怪的,独特的