EZCNN 易英网

当前位置:Home CNN每日新闻 CNN 10 August, 2024 CNN 10 - August 29, 2024

CNN 10 - August 29, 2024

Military Operations in the West Bank; Deadly Mosquitoes in the Northeast; Meet the Teenager Making Mountain-Climbing History.

COY WIRE, CNN 10 ANCHOR: Hello, superstars. It`s Thursday, August 29th. Happy Friday, Eve. I`m Coy Wire. This is CNN 10, and I`m feeling a bit loquacious

loquacious [loˋkweʃəs] adj. 多话的;非常健谈的

today, so I`m going to have to keep up the pace because we`ve got a lot of news to get to you in only 10 minutes to do it.

We`re going to start with some headlines today. First, in the Middle East, Israel`s military carried out raids and airstrikes in the occupied West Bank,

killing at least nine Palestinians. Videos of the overnight raids showed bulldozers tearing up a street in a built-up area of the northern

bulldozer [ˋbʊl͵dozɚ] n. 推土机

built-up [ˋbɪltˋʌp] adj. 建筑物密集的

city of Tulkarm, and a strike on what Israel officials said was a militant operations room in the refugee camp Nur Shams. Clashes have become more

frequent in the territory since the war in Gaza began last October, but this latest operation marks a significant escalation.

Israeli officials described the raids as a counterterrorism operation, while the Palestinian Authority condemned the operation as, quote,

"violation and crimes by Israel."

violation [͵vaɪəˋleʃən] n. 侵犯;妨害

Next, we head to the Northeast, where efforts to curb a deadly mosquito-borne virus have led to some objections. Bites from infected mosquitoes are causing a virus that leads to Eastern equine encephalitis, or EEE for

equine [ˋikwaɪn] adj. 马的,马科的

encephalitis [͵ɛnsɛfəˋlaɪtɪs] n. 脑炎

short, which the CDC says kills about one in three people who get it, and 50% of the survivors end up with lasting neurological damage.

Cases have been identified in Massachusetts, Wisconsin, New Jersey, Vermont, and New Hampshire. Because the mosquitoes that spread EEE are most

active at dusk and dawn, officials in Oxford, Massachusetts announced a voluntary curfew of 6 p.m. But members of public weren`t happy about

closing fields for youth sports. A change.org petition to keep the parks open has nearly 900 signatures, and a town board of health meeting on

Wednesday got contentious.

contentious [kənˋtɛnʃəs] adj. 爱争论的;有异议的;引起争论的

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Please don`t do this to our kids.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: We have 800 people find a petition.

(CROSSTALK)

(END VIDEO CLIP)

WIRE: And finally, a headline that has some big old shoes to fill, paleontologists have found matching dinosaur footprints, more than 260 of

paleontologist [͵pelɪɑnˋtɑlədʒɪst] n. 古生物学者

them, in Africa and South America. The footprints are similar in age, shape, and geological context.

Back then, 120 million years ago to be specific, the seven continents hadn`t split apart yet. Remember Pangea? So scientists say the findings

Pangea [pænˈdʒiə] n.盘古大陆

suggest that dinosaurs once traveled along their own version of a highway.

Pop quiz hot shot.

Which landmark is also known as Chomolungma?

Mount Everest, Ayers Rock, Kilauea, or Timbuktu?

Towering over the Himalayan mountains, you`ll find what`s known locally as Chomolungma, or Mount Everest.

We want to introduce you to a teenager who`s making mountain climbing history. We traveled to Nepal, home to several of the world`s tallest

peaks, and home to Nima Rinji Sherpa, who only has one more mountain to climb in order to conquer all 14 of the world`s mountains that are over

Sherpa [ˋʃɛrpə] n. 雪尔帕人(西藏的一种族)

8,000 meters tall.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

LYNDA KINKADE, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): Step-by-step this teenager is on his way to making history. 18-year-old Nima Rinji Sherpa is setting

his sights on the highest peaks in the world.

After reaching 13, he`s aiming to become the youngest person to climb all the 14 mountains above 8,000 meters. Even though he comes from a community

of mountaineers, this is still a big deal.

big deal(常用作反语)至关重要的大事,了不起的事情

NIMA RINJI SHERPA, MOUNTAINEER: This is a very big advantage for the Sherpa community and even for me and for everyone. You know, like --

because before this, you cannot -- you can`t imagine a teenager doing the 14 peaks, you know.

KINKADE (voice-over): Sherpas are an ethnic group native to the valleys around Mount Everest. And they`re often guides for mountaineers in the

Himalayas. They carry large loads like equipment and food, fixing ladders and ropes along the way. Always a dangerous feat.

feat [fit] n. 武艺;技艺

And climbing such incredible heights also brings great risks. Avalanches, exposure and high-altitude sickness can easily take over and can be the

exposure [ɪkˋspoʒɚ] n. 暴晒

take over: to become dominant

difference between a successful summit and never reaching the peak. But Nima Rinji Sherpa says his mental state is what keeps him focused and calm.

SHERPA: I`ve kind of convinced myself, you know, like to be normally in the mountain. Like for example when I see avalanche or bad weather or when

there is an accident in the mountain I`m not in a hurry. I don`t get like nervous or something like that.

KINKADE (voice-over): Only about 40 people have reached all 14 peaks of what they call the eight-thousanders. They`re all in the Himalayan and

eight-thousander 八千公尺高山

Karakoram ranges spanning China, Pakistan, Nepal and India. As the youngest climber, not only has Sherpa broken multiple records, his expeditions have

Karakoram [͵kærəˋkorəm] n. 喀拉崑崙山脈(與喜馬拉雅山脈向北接連的大山脈)

taught him a lot.

SHERPA: I`ve learned so much things about nature, human body, human psychology, meeting new people, nature and, like, everything in the world

that I learned from the mountain.

KINKADE (voice-over): With his sights set on one last mountain, Shishapangma in Tibet, he`s hoping to inspire others and develop

mountaineering into a professional sport. So whether he`s on the ground or on top of the world, Sherpa is set on breaking more barriers.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

WIRE: We`re now taking a look at a non-profit in Northern California that pairs vulnerable young people with abandoned or abused dogs. Unchained

works primarily with juvenile correction facilities and teaches young people about dog training using positive reinforcement to better prepare

them for adoption. Take a look.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Quincy, who`s that?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I was a troubled child. I would run around, cause a lot of trouble, in and out, incarceration. Most of the dogs didn`t really catch

run around [ˋrʌnə͵raʊnd] n.【美】【口】一连串的借口;推托

incarceration [ɪn͵kɑrsəˋreʃən] n. 下狱,监禁

my attention until I seen this boxer named Quincy.

boxer [ˋbɑksɚ] n. 拳师狗(德国原产的狗,体格中型、强壮)

MELISSA WOLF, FOUNDER, UNCHAINED: When kids can contribute to giving a dog a second chance at a better life, we see the shift in them.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yes, beautiful timing.

WOLF: The Canines Teaching Compassion program, it`s an eight-week program. We have a skills curriculum. The kids use what`s called positive

curriculum [kəˋrɪkjələm] n. 学校的全部课程;(一门)课程

reinforcement training. We partner with juvenile detention centers -- educational institutions, and nonprofit organizations serving youth.

juvenile [ˋdʒuvən!] n. 青少年

detention center【美】(青少年罪犯的)临时拘留所

We don`t know their stories. What maybe put them in juvenile hall. You`ve got kids who have experienced a lot of trauma in their lives. And we get to

go in with a blank slate.

blank slate (如同干净的黑板; 比喻「新的开始」的意思) something with no existing restraints that can be freely developed

They may share a very similar story with their dog, that their dog has experienced neglect or abandonment or maybe abuse. Once they start applying

neglect [nɪgˋlɛkt] n. 忽略;疏忽

the positive reinforcements with the dog and teaching the dog and the dog is responding.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Nicely done.

WOLF: Then there`s a lot of reciprocity that goes back and forth.

reciprocity [͵rɛsəˋprɑsətɪ] n. 互助; 互惠; 互换

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: She`s available.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: 100% available for adoption.

WOLF: We know that when dogs are well trained and socialized, they have a greater chance at adoption.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Good job.

WOLF (voice-over): Since the start of our services, we have served more than 450 youth. Those youth have contributed to the adoption placement of

placement [ˋplesmənt] n. 放置; 安置

more than 220 dogs.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I learned a lot of social skills. I learned how not to be nervous and how to kind of control my emotions a lot. Working with

Quincy, obviously seeing him get a second shot actually gave me a little bit of hope.

WOLF: Thank you for bringing this boy back to life.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

WIRE: All right, for today`s story getting a 10 out of 10, we head to Nebraska to check out a red-diculous collection of antique tractors. Look

at them. 51 of these old beauties are all owned by Wayne Dreessen.

The collection includes some tractors that date all the way back to 1939. He has some very modern ones too. Dreessen, who started farming right out of

high school, put the collection on display to celebrate his 80th birthday.

Congrats to my new TikTok friends from Ms. Bartel`s 10th grade English class in Boca Raton, Florida, for your #YourWordWednesday submission

yesterday. Loquacious, an adjective meaning talkative. Thanks for boosting our vocab and helping to write today`s show.

Today`s shout goes to Cupertino Middle School in Sunnyvale, California. Go on Bears, do your thing. Have a great Thursday.

We`ll see you right back here tomorrow on CNN 10.

END

loquacious [loˋkweʃəs] adj. 多话的;非常健谈的

bulldozer [ˋbʊl͵dozɚ] n. 推土机

built-up [ˋbɪltˋʌp] adj. 建筑物密集的

violation [͵vaɪəˋleʃən] n. 侵犯;妨害

equine [ˋikwaɪn] adj. 马的,马科的

encephalitis [͵ɛnsɛfəˋlaɪtɪs] n. 脑炎

contentious [kənˋtɛnʃəs] adj. 爱争论的;有异议的;引起争论的

paleontologist [͵pelɪɑnˋtɑlədʒɪst] n. 古生物学者

Pangea [pænˈdʒiə] n. 盘古大陆

Sherpa [ˋʃɛrpə] n. 雪尔帕人(西藏的一种族)

big deal(常用作反语)至关重要的大事,了不起的事情

feat [fit] n. 武艺;技艺

exposure [ɪkˋspoʒɚ] n. 暴晒

take over: to become dominant

eight-thousander 八千公尺高山

Karakoram [͵kærəˋkorəm] n. 喀拉崑崙山脈(與喜馬拉雅山脈向北接連的大山脈)

run around [ˋrʌnə͵raʊnd] n.【美】【口】一连串的借口;推托

incarceration [ɪn͵kɑrsəˋreʃən] n. 下狱, 监禁

boxer [ˋbɑksɚ] n. 拳师狗(德国原产的狗,体格中型、强壮)

curriculum [kəˋrɪkjələm] n. 学校的全部课程;(一门)课程

juvenile [ˋdʒuvən!] n. 青少年

detention center【美】(青少年罪犯的)临时拘留所

blank slate (如同干净的黑板; 比喻「新的开始」的意思) something with no existing restraints that can be freely developed

neglect [nɪgˋlɛkt] n. 忽略;疏忽

reciprocity [͵rɛsəˋprɑsətɪ] n. 互助; 互惠; 互换

placement [ˋplesmənt] n. 放置; 安置

当前位置:首頁 CNN每日新闻 CNN 10 August, 2024 CNN 10 - August 29, 2024