Passing on the Salt 多「盐」无益
- 详细资料
- 创建于 2004年12月21日
- 最后更新于 2024年5月25日
- 发布于 2011年8月09日
- 作者:Mike Lee
- 点击数:358
课文朗读
课文讲解
Two colleagues, Bill and Mary, are having lunch in their office cafeteria. 比尔和玛莉是同事,他们正在公司的自助餐厅吃午餐。
M: I can’t believe my eyes, Bill. Are you having a salad for lunch? No burger?
哇,比尔,真不敢相信我的眼睛。你午餐就只吃色拉?没汉堡?
B: Get used to it, Mary. I’m off burgers for good. Most fast food is loaded with sodium.
玛莉,妳得开始习惯啰。为了自己好,我已经决定远离汉堡了。绝大部份的快餐,钠的含量都很高。
M: I know. But why your sudden interest in lessening your salt intake?
这我知道。但你为什么突然想减少盐分的摄取?
B: My doctor says I should cut back on sodium-rich foods to lower my blood pressure.
医生说我必须少吃点高钠盐的食物好降低血压。
M: Do you have hypertension? I would have thought you were too young.
你有高血压啊?你还这么年轻耶。
B: Actually, my blood pressure isn’t that high yet, but they say it increase with age.
事实上我的血压还没那么高啦,但据说血压会与年龄成正比呢。
M: Well, I’m glad you’re starting to pay more attention to your diet.
哇呜,真高兴看到你开始比较注意饮食了。
B: I want to lower my risk of heart attack and stroke, too.
我也想降低得心脏病和中风的危险。
M: So do I. That’s why I’ve been trying to lower my cholesterol level.
我也是,这也是为什么我一直想降低胆固醇指数。
B: I’ve noticed you’re been munching away on lots of fruits and vegetables recently.
我有注意到,最近妳开始大吃蔬果起来。
M: That’s right. I could stand to lose a few pounds, too.
没错。这样我还可以减个几磅。
B: In that case, you should come to my health club with me.
既然如此,妳该跟我一起上健身俱乐部的。
M: You’ve joined a health club? I would never have dreamed that you’d take something like this so seriously.
你有参加健身俱乐部啊?我做梦也没想到,你会这样认真看待一件事。
B: So, how about it? Can you tear yourself away from the TV tonight?
怎样啊?妳舍得不看今晚的电视吗?
M: Why not? If you can break your unhealthy eating habits, I can surely break a sweat.
怎么会舍不得?你都可以改正不良饮食习惯了,我流点汗又何妨?
-End
Vocabulary
单词发音
pass on something 婉拒..;谢绝… say no to something; to refuse an opportunity involving something or someone; decline
cafeteria [͵kæfəˋtɪrɪə] n. 自助餐馆
off [ɔf] prep. 戒掉……
sodium [ˋsodɪəm] n. 钠
hypertension [͵haɪpɚˋtɛnʃən] n. 高血压
munch [mʌntʃ] v. 津津有味地嚼
stand to 做好准备
tear oneself away from 勉强使自己离开 to remove (oneself, for example) unwillingly or reluctantly.
break a sweat 出汗 become wet with sweat
Sentence of the Day
That worker’s not worth his salt.
那工人不够格。