EZCNN 易英网

当前位置:Home 英语教材 Intermediate English Workplace (职场) It’s About Time! 抓住时间的尾巴

It’s About Time! 抓住时间的尾巴

 

课文朗读

 

课文讲解

 

繁體中文譯本

 

Jerry has an appointment. He is waiting in the company’s reception area when Grace sits down next to him.  杰瑞和人有约。他正在公司会客区等候的同时,葛瑞丝在他旁边坐了下来。

 

G: Are you done with that magazine?

你杂志看完了吗?

 

J: I’ve read it cover to cover, twice.

我从头读到尾,还读了两次。

 

G: Industrial Lubricants Weekly – you must be bored to death.

《工业润滑剂周刊》──你一定无聊死了。

 

J: I’ve been here for nearly an hour now.

我在这儿快待上一个小时了。

 

G: Were you early?

你提早到吗?

 

J: About ten minutes.

大概早了十分钟吧。

 

G: That was your first mistake. You should never show up more than five minutes early for an appointment – unless you want to give the impression you’ve got time to waste.

那就是你犯的第一个错误了。你不该比约定时间早五分钟以上出现──除非你想给人你多的是时间可以浪费的那种印象。

 

J: Are you saying that coming late would be better?

妳是说迟到比较好喔?

 

G: No. But you should leave the arrival time a bit fuzzy. Also, make sure you bring something to do. Presumably, you’ve got more compelling things to do than read Industrial Lubricants Weekly.

不是。但别让别人清楚你到达的时间。还有啊,记得带点事来做。想必你有比读《工业润滑剂周刊》更急迫的事情待办。

 

J: Hold on a second! I’m the one who was on time, yet I have to suffer for it?

等等,我是准时到的人,难道还得受准时到的苦?

 

G: Not at all. If somebody makes you wait more than fifteen minutes, and you can afford to leave, go.

大可不必。要是有人让你等超过十五分钟,你就可以离开走人了。

 

J: Because they might be playing power games?

因为他们可能在玩权力游戏?

 

G: Right. But give him or her a chance to come out and explain the holdup before taking off.

没错。但在闪人之前,要给人家一个出面解释迟到理由的机会。

 

J: Regardless, I know the guy I’m waiting for isn’t playing power games. He’s just irresponsible and habitually late.

不管怎样,我知道我在等的那个家伙不是在玩权力游戏。他只是没责任感又习惯性迟到而已。

 

G: How can you be so sure?

你怎能如此肯定?

 

J: He’s my brother.

他是我哥。

 

End

 

Vocabulary

单词发音

 

lubricant [ˋlubrɪkənt] n. 润滑油,润滑剂

bored [bɔrd] adj. 无趣的, 烦人的, 无聊的

impression [ɪmˋprɛʃən] n. 印象

fuzzy [ˋfʌzɪ] adj. 模糊不清的

presumably [prɪˋzuməblɪ] adv. 想必

compelling [kəmˋpɛlɪŋ] adj. 不得不接受的

afford [əˋford] adj. 有足够的……

power game 权力游戏

holdup [ˋhold͵ʌp] n. 造成延搁的事物; (交通、运输等的)阻塞;停滞

take off  匆忙离去 to leave in a hurry

 

 

Sentence of the Day

Do it on your own time.

这是请用自个儿的时间做。(别在工作或上课等时间做)

 

 

 

 

课文讲解

 

Janet has just stood up to greet her boss, Bill, who has stepped into her cubicle. 老板比尔已经步入办公室了,珍娜特才起身迎接。

 

B: Why don’t you have a seat, Janet. You look exhausted.

妳就坐嘛,珍娜特。妳看起来相当疲惫。

 

J: I’m spent. I’ve been getting up an hour earlier every day to come here.

我累死了。来这儿我每天都得提早一个钟头起床。

 

B: So you must’ve got that memo on time management I sent around?

那妳一定有收到我发的有关时间管理的便条啰?

 

J: Yes, all three times.

有啊,三次都有。

 

B: Great. I’m sure you saw the part about delegating jobs, then?

很好。那妳一定有看到关于分派工作的那部份啰?

 

J: Yeah. Work that isn’t cost-effective for you to do should be reassigned.

看到了。会让你的付出徒劳无功的工作,就应该分配给别人做。

 

B: Uh-huh. Ideally, a manager such as myself should be able to plan and improve efficiency while my staff handle all the routine matters.

说得对。理想中,像我这样的管理者,在属下处理所有例行事务时,应该要能善加计划以增进效率。

 

J: Bill, maybe you’re not aware of my workload, but ….

比尔,或许你不清楚我的工作量,可是……

 

B: Tsk, tsk. Janet, what you might not realize is that the project I’m giving you will increase your job satisfaction. I’m entrusting you with the whole thing.

啧啧,珍娜特,妳可能不太了解,我交给妳负责的计划将会提高妳的工作满足感。我是把整件事都托付给妳喔。

 

J: Could you prioritize the new project with regard to my existing work?

你可以把跟我手边工作有关的新计划排优先吗?

 

B: Tell ya what, I’ll check on that, and then we can chat more at the meeting.

这样吧,我会再看看,然后我们开会时可以多聊一下。

 

J: Meeting?

开会?

 

B: Yeah, I’ve called a meeting for eleven fifty-three.

是啊,我已经说了要在十一点五十三分开会。

 

J: Eleven fifty-three? Seven minutes before lunch?

十一点五十三分?午餐前七分钟?

 

B: It’s been proven that punctuality improves when meetings are set at odd times. I just hope nobody wastes my time blowing around the hot air.

经证实,在零碎的时间开会能促进守时。我只希望没人浪费我的时间净讲些废话。

 

J: Believe me, I understand.

相信我,我了解。

 

End

 

Vocabulary

单词发音

 

cubicle [ˋkjubɪk!] n. 小隔间

spent [spɛnt] adj. 精疲力竭的,极为衰弱的

delegate [ˋdɛlə͵get] v. 委派;委托

cost-effective [ˋkɑstəˋfɛktɪv] adj. 有成本效益的

ideally [aɪˋdiəlɪ] adv. 理想情况下

efficiency [ɪˋfɪʃənsɪ] n. 效率;效能

workload [ˋwɝk͵lod] n. 工作量

entrust [ɪnˋtrʌst] v. 委托;委派

prioritize [praɪˋɔrə͵taɪz] v. 把事情优先级排好

with regard to  关于

punctuality [͵pʌŋktʃʊˋælətɪ] n. 严守时间

hot air【口】空话; 大话  if something that someone says is just hot air, it is not sincere and will have no practical results

 

 

Sentence of the Day

We’re working against the clock.

我们分秒必争地工作。

 

 

当前位置:首頁 英语教材 Intermediate English Workplace (职场) It’s About Time! 抓住时间的尾巴