EZCNN 易英网

当前位置:Home 英语教材 Intermediate English Science (科学) Why are we hot or cold? 愈胖愈耐寒?

Why are we hot or cold? 愈胖愈耐寒?

 

课文朗读

 

课文讲解

 

繁體中文譯本

 

Susan had just arrived at her boyfriend Dennis’s house:  苏珊刚到她男朋友丹尼斯家:

 

D: Welcome to my humble abode! Here, let me take your coat.

欢迎光临寒舍,要不要把外套脱下来?

 

S: I’d rather keep it on. I’m freezing!

我还是宁愿穿着它,我冷死了。

 

D: I’d be cold too if I didn’t have this beer belly to keep me warm.

若不是我的啤酒肚帮我保暖,我也会觉得很冷。

 

S: I hate to admit that your oversized gut could have any advantage, but you’re right: a higher body fat percentage does help you retain heat.

我极不愿意承认你那大肚子也有好处,不过你是对的,脂肪多确实有助于保暖。

 

D: I knew there was a reason I’d been cultivating this corpulent silhouette!

我就知道确有理由,我一向很照顾我的美好胖子形象。

 

S: Not so fast. The greater the area of your skin, the more heat you’ll lose.

别急,其实你皮肤面积愈大,丧失的体温愈多。

 

D: Sounds like a catch-22. My body fat is a natural insulator, but because I need so much skin to cover it, I’ll lose heat regardless?

听起来很矛盾,我的体脂是天生绝缘体,但因为我需要这大面积的皮肤来覆盖脂

肪,所以我就得丧失体温。

 

S: Pretty much, which is why women are usually colder than men; even at the same body weight, a woman’s surface-to-mass ratio is greater.

没错,所以女性通常体温比男性低。即使男女体重相同,女体的表面积与重量之比仍较大。

 

D: Those sexy curves may make you cold, but they sure set my blood boiling!

身体的玲珑曲线虽使人的体温较低,但却让我血脉贲张。

 

S: Better watch it then. Your blood regulates your body temperature too, you know.

那你可得小心,要知道血液也是协助调节体温的。

 

D: That I do know! When I’m hot, my blood moves close to my skin so the heat can escape.

那我当然知道!我体温高时,血液就流向皮肤去散热。

 

S: Like now? Your face is awfully red. Things must be warming up in here!

就像现在?你的脸红通通的,这儿一定是愈来愈热了!

 

by Francoise Raunet

 

Vocabulary

单词发音

 

abode [əˋbod] n.【书】住所,住处[C][S1]

cultivate [ˋkʌltə͵vet] v. 培养;陶冶; 养成

corpulent [ˋkɔrpjələnt] adj.【正式】肥胖的; 臃肿的

silhouette [͵sɪlʊˋɛt] n. 侧面影像﹐黑色轮廓像﹐剪影

catch-22【俚】进退维谷; 互相抵触之规律或条件所造成的无法脱身的困窘

insulator [ˋɪnsə͵letɚ] n.〔尤指不导电的〕绝缘体; 隔音材料

ratio [ˋreʃo] n. 比;比率;【数】比例

 

 

Sentence of the Day

Who knows what might happen in the heat of the moment?

谁晓得情急之下会发生甚么事?

 

in the heat of the moment  在(一时)盛怒(或激动、心烦意乱)中

 

 

 

 

当前位置:首頁 英语教材 Intermediate English Science (科学) Why are we hot or cold? 愈胖愈耐寒?