EZCNN 易英网

当前位置:Home 英语教材 Intermediate English Society (社会) Graphology: The Writing is on the Wall 笔迹学:白纸黑字,昭然若揭

Graphology: The Writing is on the Wall 笔迹学:白纸黑字,昭然若揭

 

课文朗读

 

课文讲解

 

繁體中文譯本

 

Ken and Monica are sifting through the pile of resumes and cover letters from prospective candidates for a position opening in their company:  肯恩和莫妮卡正在翻阅一大迭履历表和应征信,浏览前来应征公司职位求职者的数据:

 

M: There are too many resumes here. I wish there was an easier way to sort through these. Everyone has great qualifications.

这里履历表这么多,真希望有便捷的办法可以过滤,每个人的资历实在都很棒。

 

K: Maybe we could try analyzing handwriting on the cover letters and personnel applications.

或许我们可以试试分析应征信和人事数据的个人手迹如何。

 

M: All right. Let’s see. This guy can’t spell. Next!

试试,好啊。这位连拼字都不合格,下一封!

 

K: Not so fast! I meant we should look a little more closely at aspects of candidates’ penmanship like spacing, the size of letters, and the pressure applied by the pen.

别这么急!我的意思是,我们应该仔细看看应征者的运笔,譬如留白处、字母大小、和运笔使力等各个层面。

 

M: Why? This job isn’t for a calligrapher.

为什么?这工作又不是要雇个书法家。

 

K: No. But maybe we can determine the personalities of the people who are applying for the job.

不是。但也许我们能从其中看出一些应征者个性上的端倪。

 

M: I get it. You’re talking graphology. You think that the appearance of a person’s handwriting is influenced by their personality.

我懂了,你说的是笔迹学,认为一个人的笔迹会受到他个性影响。

 

K: Uh huh. But understanding the meaning of how something is written, we get a unique glimpse into that writer’s personality.

是的。借着了解一个人怎么写字,可以深入了解一个人的性格。

 

M: That’s wacko, Kenny. Pure quackery.

疯子乱说话,小肯,全是鬼扯。

 

K: Want to put your money where your mouth is? I’ll bet that I can decide who’s the best candidate for the job judging solely by the candidate’s handwriting.

敢打赌吗?我打赌我可以只看应征者的笔迹,就铁口直断谁真正最适合这份工作。

 

M: Regardless of the content of the handwriting? OK. Loser buys lunch?

不管所写的内容吗?好,输的人请吃中饭哦?

 

K: You’re on!

没问题!

 

Vocabulary

单词发音

 

the writing’s on the wall 灾难降临的预兆,不祥之兆 the likelihood that something bad will happen

sift [sɪft] v. 详查,细究[(+through)]

resume [ˈrɛzəme] n.【主美】(个人)简历

cover letter(附于包裹或另一信件中作为说明或附言的)附函

prospective [prəˋspɛktɪv] adj. 预期的﹐未来的﹐ 可能的

sort through something 查看(某些事物)并加以分类整理

qualification [͵kwɑləfəˋkeʃən] n. 资格,能力

personnel [͵pɝsnˋɛl] n. 人事部门;人事课(或室等)

penmanship [ˋpɛnmən͵ʃɪp] n. 字迹,笔迹

calligrapher [kəˋlɪgrəfɚ] n. 书法家

graphology [græˋfɑlədʒɪ] n. 笔迹学

wacko [ˋwæko] adj. 疯了的;古怪的

quackery [ˋkwækərɪ] n. 骗术;胡吹

put one’s money where one’s mouth is【口】以实际行动支持, 并非口头承诺  to support something that you believe in, especially by giving money

 

 

Sentence of the Day

She's a doubting Thomas.

她生性多疑。

 

a doubting Thomas 怀疑一切的人;多疑的人;怀疑主义者

 

 

 

 

课文讲解

 

An hour later, Monica asks Kenny which candidate he likes best:  一小时后,莫妮卡问小肯他最中意那一位应征者:

 

K: Hands down, Lyle Mitchell. His large letters show ambition and confidence.

毫无疑问,当然是莱尔米契儿。他写的字,字母很大表示很有企图心和自信。

 

M: What about the heaviness of the pen on the page?

在纸上下笔很重代表什么意思?

 

K: Hmm. That’s a little worrisome. It shows that he may be a little gullible. And the way he dots his i’s makes him look a little macho.

嗯…那会有点小麻烦,表示他容易受骗上当,而且他点i字母上头那个小点的方式,显示他阳刚气重。

 

M: You don’t say!

不会吧!

 

K: But that’s compensated by the overall roundness of the letters. This indicates a sense of equality and fairness.

不过他的字母整体有圆润感,因此可以平衡过来。这同时表示有公平正义的感觉。

 

M: Listen, your analysis is interesting, but is it unbiased?

你分析是蛮有趣的,但真的没有偏颇吗?

 

K: Of course! I don’t know Lyle Mitchell from Adam.

当然!我完全不认识莱尔米契儿。

 

M: I mean, can you really make an analysis that isn’t influenced by the content of the writing? You’d say that Mitchell is intelligent, right?

我的意思是,你真的完全不顾内容就做这个分析吗?你会说米契儿这个人很聪明,对不对?

 

K: Extremely. The forward slant of his letters indicates that.

非常聪明。他写的字母前倾,是有这种迹象。

 

M: Now, I would reach the same conclusion, though probably after reading the words “I graduated summa cum laude from Harvard.”

不过我现在读了这一句,也会得到和你一样的结论:「本人以最优异的学业成绩,毕业于哈佛大学」。

 

K: Whatever. Mitchell’s the man for the job. Graphology proves he’s got the “write” stuff!

不管怎样,米契儿是这份工作的最佳人选。笔迹学可以证明他有适当的料。

 

M: Actually, Kenny, I slipped that letter in the pile when you weren’t looking! I wrote it!

其实,小肯,那封信是我趁你没注意时插进那堆里去的,是我写的!

 

K: No fair!

这样做太不公平了!

 

M: Maybe not, but the writing’s on the wall: you owe me lunch!

或许吧,不过白纸黑字,铁证如山,你欠我一顿午餐!

 

by Howie Phung

 

Vocabulary

单词发音

 

hands down 毫无疑问, 无异议, 明显地 easily; unquestionably

worrisome [ˋwɝɪsəm] adj.【正式】令人焦虑的; 令人烦恼的

gullible [ˋgʌləb!] adj. 易受骗的

macho [ˋmɑtʃo] adj.【非正式】富有男子汉气概的

equality [iˋkwɑlətɪ] n. 相等;平等

fairness [ˋfɛrnɪs] n. 公正,公平

unbiased [ʌnˋbaɪəst] adj. 无偏见的;不偏不倚的;公正的

not know someone from Adam 完全不认识某人 to have no knowledge of or acquaintance with (someone)

intelligent [ɪnˋtɛlədʒənt] adj. 有智慧的; 聪明的; 悟性强的

slant [slænt] n. 倾斜,歪斜

summa cum laude [ˈsʊməkʊmˈlaʊdi] 【美】〔给予美国大学生的〕最高荣誉 with the greatest honor. used to express the highest academic distinction

slip [slɪp] v. 塞入;暗中塞(钱等)

 

 

Sentence of the Day

He has to eat his words.

他被迫承认错误。

 

eat one’s words  收回前言; 承认错误

 

 

当前位置:首頁 英语教材 Intermediate English Society (社会) Graphology: The Writing is on the Wall 笔迹学:白纸黑字,昭然若揭